Thursday, October 25, 2012

My New York City Shopping Trips Part IV: Hamlet's Vintage in Greenwich Village

4. Hamlet's Vintage

162 Bleecker Street (Greenwich Village)

New York, NY 10012





I heard about this place from reading positive Yelp reviews. From the way people raved about it, I pictured it as a large, open store. In reality, it is one itsy bitsy room. There were a lot of costume-y pieces that I couldn't see being very practical -- more like those things you buy with the best of intentions, and then you never actually wear them out. (I have this child's size kimono that I thought was just so rad in the store, but now has been living exclusively in my closet for a year.) There were some cool things, like authentic vintage military jackets, but what a lot of people may not know is that army surplus stores sell vintage military clothing too, for waaaay cheaper. I did see some metallic knit sweaters that tickled my fancy, but I didn't buy anything here either.

I am used to vintage stores here in Pennsylvania, where there is a gotta-have-it item at every turn. I usually have a hard time not spending too much at vintage stores, because I want everything, but this trip I just didn't have any luck. Granted, I am cheap (or as this blog would suggest, thrifty) but I am willing to spend more on a unique vintage piece with character. Vintage stores sell a lot of what you can find in thrift stores, but the draw is that they have the crème de la crème, the best of the best, weirdest and funkiest vintage finds. That's why people are willing to spend more.

Final thoughts: Worth checking out if you have the budget and you're in the neighborhood, but it's very small.

No comments:

Post a Comment